Adapting to Load Shedding: South Africans Turn to Power Solutions
As load shedding continues with no resolution in sight, South Africans are actively seeking ways to cope with these ongoing power disruptions.
Takealot, a popular online retailer, has observed a significant increase in sales for load shedding mitigation products, including rechargeable light bulbs and petrol generators.
Takealot’s Data Highlights:
- Last year, “UPS” ranked as the third most-searched term on the platform
- The number of brands offering power solutions nearly doubled
- There was a 3,000% GMV growth in sales of generators, UPS devices, and inverters
Takealot’s CEO, Frederik Zietsman, predicts that this trend will likely continue as more consumers allocate a larger portion of their disposable income to power solutions.
Shifting Consumer Priorities
- Zietsman notes that consumers are deprioritizing discretionary items in favor of load shedding categories
- As people come to terms with the ongoing reality of load shedding, they are more willing to invest in higher-priced power solutions
Innovative Power Solutions
- The popularity of lithium batteries is driving demand for more reliable and long-lasting solutions
- Takealot has experienced a 40% increase in load shedding products since 2020, and a 50% increase in the number of brands offering such products
Accessibility and Affordability
- The availability of multiple options has made load shedding products more accessible and affordable
- Zietsman: “A year ago, we would’ve probably had one inverter at a specific price point – but, today, we have a variety of product options all at different price points from multiple brands.”
The market for power solutions is growing rapidly as South Africans look for ways to adapt to the persistent issue of load shedding. With a wider variety of options now available, consumers have more choices to find the right solution for their needs.
Need help choosing a UPS product? Click here to read our guide on what to look out for when purchasing a UPS product.