Navigating Load Shedding: Your Weekend Schedule and Updates
South Africans are facing a frustrating weekend as Eskom’s deliberate load shedding continues to fluctuate between different stages. Here’s what you need to know about the upcoming schedule and related updates:
Load Shedding Outlook Until Sunday
Eskom’s interim spokesperson, Daphne Mokwena, shared the load shedding outlook for the rest of the week. Be aware that the stages could change at short notice, so stay informed:
- Stage 2: Wednesday 4pm to Thursday 5am
- Stage 3: Thursday 5am to 4pm
- Stage 4: Thursday 4pm to Friday 5am
- Stage 3: Friday 5am to Saturday 5am
- Stage 2: Saturday 5am to Sunday 5am
Eskom will provide updates if there are significant changes to the schedule.
Generation Unit Status
Mokwena provided updates on the current status of various power stations:
- Positive News: A generation unit at Duvha Power Station returned to service in the last 24 hours.
- Repairs Needed: Units at Lethabo, Kendal, and Kriel power stations were taken offline for repairs.
- Delays: Returning units to service at Hendrina, Medupi, and two units at Tutuka power stations experienced delays, contributing to capacity constraints.
- Planned Upgrades: Five Open Cycle Gas Turbines (OCGTs) at Ankerlig Power Station were taken out of service for a control system upgrade.
Employee Kidnapping Update
In other news, Mokwena confirmed that an Eskom employee who was kidnapped on 16 March has been found safe:
- Release: The employee was released at a location south of Johannesburg this week.
- Recovery: The staff member is currently recovering from injuries sustained during the ordeal.
- Investigation: The incident is now under police investigation.
Stay up-to-date with the latest load shedding developments and plan your weekend accordingly to minimize frustration during these power outages.